Saturday, March 19, 2016

Let Me Introduce... My Birds, My Blog, Myself

Me, hand-feeding a black-capped chickadee, February 2016.

Birds. Yes, I like them. I like to watch them. I like to photograph them. I like to sketch them. I like to back-yard feed them. When lucky enough (aka... when the birds cooperate), I like to have them close enough that their feathers tickle my cheek, or they feed from my hand. Yes, I like (love) birds!

My sister recently said to me, "You should start a blog to share some of the photographs you take of the birds." So folks, here we go! 

A little about me. I'm married, in my 40's, and have a teenage son. I work in administration at a university. I have loved animals and birds my entire life, but the camera lens has given me a greater appreciation for everything, especially birds.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, an island-like province on the east coast of Canada. My home is in the Annapolis Valley, famous for apple growing, and in recent years, wine production. My 3.5 acre rural property contains a variety of deciduous and evergreen trees, but marshes and fields are nearby. The Minas Basin and Bay of Fundy, famous for high tides, are just a short drive away.

We have four seasons, summer being my absolute favourite. I am a beach girl at heart, and I spend as much time as I can camping near the beautiful south shores of Nova Scotia. I can be found snorkeling for hours on end, despite the cooler temperatures of our waters. It's always exciting to observe our abundance of shore birds while I'm there.

Many species of birds dwell here year-round.  Daily visitors to my feeders include black-capped chickadees, pine siskins, american goldfinches, dark-eyed juncos and nuthatches. Mourning doves come in flocks to ground feed. The stunning blues of the blue jay never fail to delight. Even the starling, who regularly sets up house in an old building on my property, is a joy to photograph because of its magnificent array of iridescent speckles. Woodpeckers, both downy and hairy are sighted regularly, and it is always exciting when the grand pileated variety stops by to hammer away rotting trees on the outskirts of my property. Bald eagles and a variety of hawks soar above, and the occasional owl hoot can be heard at night. 

First red-winged blackbird
of the year.
March 19, 2016.
Our winter, at least according to the calendar, is coming to an end soon. The timing for this blog could not be better as the vast array of migratory birds will soon return. In fact, just this morning I was thrilled to hear the tumbling song of the red-winged black bird, and to witness my first pair of sparrows (either song or fox) joining my 'regulars'.

I'm excited about sharing my love of birds with you. I hope that my musings and pictures will bring enjoyment when you stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment